Programs: The Andrew Curry Green Boathouse
Boat Houses at Scout camps are relatively rare. The Wah-Tut-Ca Boat house began as a building at another camp, Camp Chadwick, 60 miles away. In 1936-37 16 buildings were moved from rented land in Dunstable MA to Northwood New Hampshire. The Boat House was one of the last to be moved. As the deadline for opening WTCSR approached, the project took on a hurried pace. When snow prevented trucks from coming down the camp road horse drawn sleds kept the project going. Originally named, Pawtucket Lodge, it's Chadwick name, it was called by its function. In a few years Pawtucket Lodge would be forgotten and it would be known as simply the Boat House.
Horse Drawn sleds carry in Chadwick buildings winter of 1936-37. This
one is believed to be the boat house, one of the last Chadwick buildings
to arrive in Northwood.
In 1945 buildings that were hastily constructed in 1937 showed their weakness. During World War II, with a shortage of material and men, the hastily constructed buildings of 1937 were in poor shape. In 1945 the Boat House collapsed during a winter storm.
The Wah-Tut-Ca Boat House has been rebuilt 4 times. The last major
renovation was done in the early 1990's by Camp Ranger Blake Watson.
All of Wah-Tut-Ca's program areas are special and important. However the Waterfront is the most popular. On a hot summer day there is no way to avoid the fun and adventure of aquatic activities.
On August 2, 2008 the Andrew Curry Green Boathouse was dedicated at the annual Lake Swim. On hand were several hundred friends, brothers and family. It was a bittersweet moment. Yet all who attended and all who contributed to the project felt that this was the best way to honor our brother, Andrew Curry Green.